Tuesday, March 23, 2010

She Speaks Scholarship Entry

I've been following Lysa Terkeurst's blog for a few months now after reading her "Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl." It was an excellent book that I would recommend to anyone who desires to experience God everyday.

Well this last Sunday she posted a Scholarship Contest on her blog for the 2010 She Speaks conference coming this summer.

http://lysaterkeurst.blogspot.com/2010/03/she-speaks-scholarship-contest.html

This conference is designed to teach women who desire to speak, write, lead and/or influence those around her and to answer God's call on her life. Here's a link to the event if you are interested:

http://www.shespeaksconference.com/conferenceInfo.htm

Anyway, my first inclination is to disregard this as something not really meant for me. I mean, sure I co-lead our Sunday School class, and lead worship for the kids on Wednesday evenings, and organize our Ladies Tea event in the Spring (during which I've spoken, acted out skits and directed), but I'm not really a speaker, leader, writer kind of person, right? So there isn't any reason for me to sign up for this. RIGHT? (slight edge of panic in that last word.)

So I decide to think about it, pray about it, and go listen to Beth Moore on her once a week radio show. This weeks (and last) was "How Wisdom Looks on a Wife, 1 & 2." I chose to listen to the first half of that lesson so I would know what she was talking about. "Wisdom on a Wife" does NOT sound like it would have anything to do with "She Speaks," so I'm thinking this is a safe thing to do. Ha! Uh, Huh-uh, no, not with our GOD. (Man, He makes me laugh.)

It's about Proverbs 20:4 & 22:13, the Sluggard. Lazy people who do no succeed at work say: 1) I don't want to, & 2) I'm scared to. But the first thing I truly heard was Beth saying this, "Listen, God wants you good at something you are scared to do." And then she repeats it. "God wants you to be good at something you are scared to do. God wants you so far outside of your comfort zone you are going to know it's the Holy Ghost, you understand what I'm saying to you? He wants glory."

I have to tell you that as soon as I heard this I just fell on my face and cried. Oh my, I knew that was so meant for me. Then she went onto speak about plans, perseverance, and organization. Beth even mentioned my life verse, Jeremiah 29:11. She said, "You and I have to get out of the cycle of procrastination-pressure." You all, I know God was using her words to speak straight to me. I KNOW this was meant for me to hear when I did. I love how God works.

Oh Lord, I receive it. I hear you. I am responding.

Now, does that mean I'm going to win? Probably not. I rarely win anything. (Grin) But I am going to respond by obediently entering into the contest, even though I am seriously afraid of winning. (I can't help but laugh at myself.) However, I so want to share Jesus with women. I desire others to experience the wild ride life is when we engage God. I want women to know the thrill of the adventure life can be when we stop seeing coincidences as bizarre, but as God's way of speaking to us anonymously.

Let me just say this... If I were to win, I would know-without a shadow of a doubt-it was GOD sending me.

Lord, have mercy. I do love you so!

3 comments:

  1. I love this post message Annalou! I just popped over from seeing your comment on Lysa's blog.

    "God wants you good at something you are scared to do" speaks to me today too. Thank you for sharing this. I am sad to say that I had been in a job that I knew God gave me a few years ago, because I couldn't have gotten it otherwise, but I took my eyes off of God during that time and gave into fear and left the job after a year. When I was there God was the one who worked in and through me to accomplish things I didn't think were possible. I had to look to him for help everyday so that I could do the job well. I realized soon after I left this position that I had been right where God had wanted me, but gave into my own fear and let it speak louder than God's voice one day.
    Thank goodness, God is a God of 2nd, 3rd etc.. chances and that he always has plan B when we mess up. He is so good to me. I just know that what you are saying here is soooo true! There is nothing greater than to go for something we are scared to do, because God is waiting to work miracles in our lives when we trust Him.

    I too entered the She Speaks contest, but I must say that you have blessed me beyond with your entry post here. It is a wonderful and moving post and if you were speaking somewhere, I would want to come and listen to you. I am signing up to be a follower before I leave your blog tonight.

    Blessings to you Annalou!

    Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help but get all mushy and sappy over every sweet entry on the She Speaks links.
    I love hearing so many sweet dreams that other women like me...have!
    Good luck, friend!
    God is so good, isn't He?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies, thank you so much for your kind words! God has lavished his love on me with the sweet affirmation of many godly women this weekend. Thank you for being a part of it. I feel as humbled by it as I do blessed! (In fact, I have a lump in my throat right now.) LOL

    I'm sorry it has taken so long to receive this message, but I've a feeling it is our Lord's perfect timing!

    May you be blessed in a double portion.

    Love,

    Anna

    ReplyDelete